- Who was Clodia Metelli? Was she Lesbia?
- How does Cicero describe Clodia? What language does he use? Compare and contrast the that portrayal with Catullus' portrayal of Lesbia. What themes, imagery, language does the poet use?
- What do Cicero and Catullus reveal about male-female relationships in the late Republic? Is this surprising/unsurprising?
- How far can Cicero and Catullus regarding Clodia be taken as evidence for gendered power relationships; inversion of sexual norms; psychological concerns about sex and sexuality?
- This website has the Pro Caelio text with running linguistic commentary.
- Benjamin Johnson has some usefully glossed youtube videos on the Catullus poems here.
- S. Ciraolo (2000) Cicero. Pro Caelio. Bolchazy-Carducci.
- W. Englert (1991) Cicero. Pro Caelio. Bryn Mawr Commentaries.
- Wikipedia article on Clodia.
- Another solid introduction to Clodia here.
Other Ancient Texts
Film and Video
- At this site, watch modern day Classicists performance Cicero, pro Caelio 33-34 with appropriate gestures and hand movements.
- Rome. HBO. Atia is largely based on Clodia.
Books and Plays
- Steven Saylor Roma sub rosa
- Robert Harris, Lustrum and Dictator
- Thornton Wilder, The Ides of March
Lesbia Weeping Over a Sparrow
Sir Lawrence Alma-Tedema (1866); Private Collection.
© From Wikiart.